Road Construction Update For I-35 in Waco
For those traveling through Waco, the Texas Department of Transportation is letting us know of some overnight lane closures this week, so plan accordingly.
FOXNEWS44 is reporting that crews will be setting beams along southbound I-35 overpasses, which will force the closure of all lanes of 4th and 5th Streets in places they cross under I-35. The closures will are from 5pm to 8am each day/night this week.
Signage is in place for to inform drivers of the closures.
This is the first of several closures expected to take place this summer as part of the My35 Waco construction project. Some other areas expected to impacted include University Parks Drive, MLK Boulevard, the Brazos River, US 84/Waco Drive and Behrens Circle.
Scheduled closures are dependent on several factors including weather, field conditions and work progress and can be followed online at www.my35.org/Waco.
You should always follow safety procedures in work zones, here is what the TxDOT reminds us to do.
Work zones present a different environment for drivers to navigate. Drivers are likely to encounter uneven pavement, narrow lanes, concrete barriers, slow-moving heavy equipment and vehicles that make sudden stops. Please keep the following tips in mind when driving through work zones:
- Slow down and always follow posted work zone speed limits. Remember, traffic fines double in work zones when workers are present and can cost up to $2,000.
- Pay attention as workers and heavy equipment may only be a few feet from passing vehicles.
- Don’t tailgate. Give yourself room to stop in a hurry. Rear-end collisions are the most common kind of work zone crashes
- Stay alert, minimize distractions and put the phone away.
- Watch out for road crews. The only protective gear they wear is a vest, hard hat, and safety boots. Their bodies are no match for your vehicle.
- Allow extra time. Road construction slows things down. Count on it and plan for it.
So remember to slow down and pay attention. Arrive Alive!