A Killeen woman has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Bush’s Chicken  saying her husband died from eating tainted chicken in 2012.

According to a report from KXXV,  Angela Scurry claims her husband got sick and later died after eating at the Bush's Chicken on 38th St. in Killeen Nov. 27, 2012.

Court papers say doctors diagnosed him with an infection caused by the Campylobacter bacteria, and during his hospital stay Scurry suffered a heart attack from the infection but was resuscitated.

He was released nine days later, but over the next two weeks went to the hospital two more times for the same symptoms and got the same diagnosis and treatment.

The lawsuit says on December 21, 2012, Scurry who was the maintenance manager at a local water park, collapsed again at home and was pronounced dead on arrival at Metroplex hospital.

Bush's Chicken founder Keith Bush told KXXV in a statement, "For 20 years Bush's chicken has served Central Texas and has provided outstanding service and safe products to our loyal customers.  At this time we are in the very early stages of gathering facts about this situation.  We offer our sympathy to the Scurry family for their loss."

The lawsuit is asking for more than a million dollars in actual damages, plus punitive damages and attorney fees.


More From KLTD-FM