Investigators say a space heater caused a fire that displaced three people in Temple Wednesday.

Temple Fire and Rescue Training Chief Jonathan Christian reports that firefighters were dispatched to a home at 7312 Galleta Ct at 10:43 AM. Engine 7 was the first to arrive, and its crew spotted heavy fire and smoke coming from the structures garage, as well as heavy smoke throughout the rest of the house.

That crew started the process of getting the fire under control while additional responders made their way into the house to search for people and other flaming areas.

Thankfully, two adults who were home at the time were able to escape safely. Unfortunately, they and another adult have been displaced. No injuries were reported.

The fire was under control by 11:30 AM, and the scene was cleared by 1:02 PM.

The Temple Fire Marshal's Office determined that the fire was accidental, caused by the improper use of a space heater.

As temperatures continue to drop here in Central Texas, more people are expected to use space heaters. While convenient, we all know these devices can be dangerous if not used wisely.

You should always plug a space heater directly into a wall socket and never use an extension cord. Make sure your space heater has a Underwriter's Laboratory (UL) label and comes equipped with modern safety features, including a tip-over safety switch. Keep space heaters away from combustible materials and keep them away from bedding, walls, and other areas that could catch fire after prolonged exposure to heat.

The videos below provide safety tips for using space heaters, as well as warnings about how quickly these devices can cause a fire. Be mindful and be safe, Central Texas.

KLTD-FM logo
Get our free mobile app

More From KLTD-FM